Boiler malfunction closes all Prince Edward schools
FARMVILLE — Prince Edward’s high, middle and elementary schools and career and technical education center closed early on Tuesday, Nov. 24, due to an oil-fired boiler malfunction at the high school.
“There were some odors in the (high school) building because of some boiler fumes,” said Division Superintendent Dr. David Smith. “Because there were some lingering odors in a few of the classrooms at the high school this morning, the decision to close was made to ensure the health and safety of the students.”
Smith said that students and teachers in affected classrooms were “relocated promptly to another part of the building that was not affected at all. That was as a cautionary step as well.”
The malfunction in the boiler resulted in “more fumes being released from the chimney and the fumes were picked up by the air handling system and distributed in,” Smith said. The boiler was shut down immediately, he said.
The boiler has been repaired, according to Smith.
R. Frank Timberlake, president of R. F. Timberlake & Company, Inc., traveled from Raleigh, N.C., to speak with Southside Virginia... read more